Save the Harbor is a dynamic and successful non-profit, public interest Boston Harbor advocacy organization made up of thousands of citizens as well as civic, corporate, cultural and community leaders and scientists. Save the Harbor led the effort to create the Boston Harbor Islands National Park and transformed South Boston’s beaches into the cleanest urban beaches in America. None of this would be possible without dedicated community members, partners, full time staff, and interns. We are seeking interns who are passionate about conservation, environmental advocacy, nonprofit management, and community programming.
Save the Harbor/Save the Bay is seeking an Environmental Policy Intern to assist in the advancement of our mission. This position is for high energy and self-motivated individual with an interest in political science and environmental policy. Under the direction of the Executive Director and the Director of Strategy & Communications, the Environmental Policy Intern will be working on a variety of projects focused on environmental sustainability, water quality, and public access to Boston Harbor and the waterfront.
Important responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
· Data Analysis and Interpretation: Gather, interpret, summarize, and communicate water quality data as it relates to recreation activities such as fishing, boating, and swimming
· Policy and Communication: Organize information on a number of projects that Save the Harbor/Save the Bay can present at local and regional meetings. Prepare memos and emails that explain new water use policies and proposals to local organizations and officials.
· Research current policy issues, preserve and organize newspaper clips, prepare policy related mailings and emails.
· Monitoring external events relevant to Save the Harbor’s mission and representing Save the Harbor at events when appropriate.
· Attending and supporting Save the Harbor/Save the Bay events.
Skills & Knowledge Desired - Minimum Entrance Requirements:
· Excellent interpersonal, writing and verbal skills required
· Attention to detail and accuracy
· Computer skills include Microsoft Word and Excel
· Interest in non-profit organizations and the mission of Save the Harbor/Save the Bay
· Science background is not required, though an interest in science as it relates to the Boston Harbor and water quality is a must
· Dependability and flexibility
· Ability to exercise good judgment and work on multiple projects simultaneously, while maintaining attention to detail required.
· Proficiency in Spanish, Haitian Creole, Mandarin and/or Cape Verdean Creole preferred, but not required.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
This internship will be remote.
· Part-time year-round opportunity based on work performance.
· Start Date: January 2021
· Hours: at least 12 hours per week
We are flexible on scheduling around classes and other such obligations.
Save the Harbor/Save the Bay does not provide stipends for internships but will work closely with students to see that the internship meets credit requirements. You need not be a student to apply.
How to Apply
Please email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with Environmental Policy Intern in the subject line. We strongly encourage applications from people of color, women, and LGBTQ individuals.